Scrolls are one of my favourite bread items, they are just yummy and so easy to make.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or honey – soften in the warm water)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of bread improver (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups warm water (not hot)
This is my basic bread dough, you can use white flour or wholemeal or a mixture of both if you prefer.
This is so easy, mix dry, mix wet and add together and mix into dough ball. You may need more water but you don’t want the dough too wet.
Turn ball out onto floured bench and knead until smooth. Roll out into a rectangle and spread whatever ingredients you want down the middle and roll up.
Slice up and place scrolls into a paper lined baking try. and bake for 35 minutes at 180 degrees C.
When done turn out onto a tea towel and wrap around until cool.
IDEAS FOR FILLING MIXTURE
- chutney and cheese
- bacon, onion and cheese (fry off the bacon and onion until soft first)
- shredded ham, olives and mushrooms and of course cheese
- corn relish and cheese
- vegemite and cheese
If you are making sweet rolls add a little more sugar or honey to the dough mixture.
- cream cheese and sultanas
- stewed sliced apple and cinnamon
- tahini and honey
The options are only limited to your imagination, use your favourite flavour combinations.