This is just the best sponge cake recipe. It is light and fluffy but if you want a cake recipe that lasts, don’t try this one, because it doesn’t.
Here is the recipe:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1 tblsp custard powder
- 2 tblsps hot water
- pinch salt
- icing sugar for dusting.
- whipped cream and 1 tblsp sugar
- handful of raspberries
Prepare a 20 cm round cake tin. I spray with cooking spray and then line with baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Add vanilla to egg yolks.
Sift all dry ingredients, except salt and sugar twice.
Beat egg whites and salt until stiff. Gradually add the sugar, beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is glossy. Beat in the yolks.
Add the hot water and fold in sifted dry ingredients.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for approx. 20 minutes or until cake shrinks from the sides of the tin. When the cake is ready it will also spring back when touched in the middle with a finger.
Cool cakes on a linen tea towel that has been sprinkled with icing sugar.
Beat cream with 2 tblsp sugar and mix in a handful of raspberries.
When cake is cooled cut in half and fill with the cream mixture, dust with icing sugar.
- I often use an extra egg, this was something that was suggested to me years ago when making sponges, and I used duck eggs this time, but chook will do.
- When folding in the flour be very gentle so you don’t knock the air out of the sponge.
- Before you place the tin in the oven bang it on the bench to reduce air bubbles.
This post is linked up here…